Last night I got a craving for something sweet. We have a recipe given to us by our good friend Richard for a Pineapple Cake, which is simplicity itself and also very good. I followed the basic recipe, but once I had it in the oven I realized that I wanted to add some toasted pecans to the batter. Too late. So just sprinkle them on the top; no that was not going to work. So I looked up our recipe for Bacardi Cake and made the glaze that goes on top and added the toasted pecans to that. Presto, Bacardi Rum Pineapple Cake. It was delicious, and of course rum goes well with pineapple. Here is the recipe:
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 20 oz can crushed pineapple with juice
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup Bacardi Dark Rum
1 cup toasted chopped pecans.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a greased & floured 9 X 13 inch cake pan
2. Mix all of the cake ingredients together in a large bowl. Either use a hand mixer or beat by hand until well blended
3. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, until tooth pick comes out clean
4. Cool 30 minutes
5. Meanwhile, toast pecans until brown and fragrant.
6. Melt butter in sauce pan.
7. Stir in water and sugar. Boil 5 minutes stirring constantly.
8. Stir in rum and add pecans.
9. Spoon pecans and glaze over the top of the cake. Serve topped with a sprinkle of powdered sugar.