I made this last night. We like it because it is really tasty and very low-calorie (318 per serving.) We always have a bag of frozen shrimp in the freezer, just in case, and we always have a big jar of Pace Picante as well. The only ingredients we needed to buy were the green pepper, the cilantro and the limes. The recipe makes 4 servings.
1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 large green pepper
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 medium onion, chopped
4 ounces green chilies, canned, chopped
14 1/2 ounces diced tomatoes (1 can)
2 cups taco sauce, (we prefer Pace Picante)
12 olives, pimento stuffed
1 1/2 teaspoons capers
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon sugar
cilantro, chopped, for garnish
fresh lime wedges
hot cooked rice
1. Cut green pepper into 1 1/2 X 1/2-inch strips.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet.
3. Add green pepper and onion.
4. Cook until onion is translucent.
5. Add green chilies, taco sauce, tomatoes, olives, capers, cumin, bay leaf, salt and sugar.
6. Bring to a boil.
7. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
8. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet.
9. Add shrimp.
10. Cook over medium heat stirring constantly about 3 minutes or until shrimp turn pink.
11. Serve sauce immediately over cooked hot rice. Top with shrimp.
12. Sprinkle with a squeeze of fresh lime juice and chopped cilantro.