I love Teriyaki Chicken and rice bowls with broccoli. Something about it makes me feel like I am eating something healthy. You have your protein, veggie and starch all in one. You can just steam the broccoli in the microwave and toss it in at the last minute.
I threw in my recipe for white rice as well.
Teriyaki Chicken with Broccoli
4 skinless boneless chicken thighs, cut 1/2-inch pieces
1 tablespoon avocado oil, or other neutral oil
1/4 cup soy sauce
3 tablespoons light brown sugar
3 tablespoons cooking Sake , or rice wine vinegar
2 tablespoons Mirin, white wine or dry sherry can be substituted
1 tablespoon sesame oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 inch ginger, peeled and grated
1 green onion, sliced to garnish
4 cups broccoli florets, lightly steamed
1 teaspoon cornstarch mixed with 2 teaspoons water, if needed
1. Heat cooking oil in a large pan over medium heat. Stir fry chicken, stirring occasionally until lightly browned and crisp.
2. In a small jug or bowl whisk together the soy sauce, sugar, Sake/vinegar, Mirin and sesame oil to combine. Set aside.
3. Add the garlic and ginger to the center of the pan and saute until lightly fragrant. Pour in the sauce and allow to cook, while stirring, until the sauce thickens into a beautiful shiny glaze. If not thick enough add a bit of the cornstarch slurry.
4. Add in the steamed broccoli. Garnish with green onion slices and serve over steamed rice.
2 cups white rice
3 cups water
1 tablespoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a medium oven proof pot, add rice, water and salt.
3. Bring to a boil.
4. Boil until “fish-eyes” form and most of the liquid is absorbed.
5. Remove from heat, cover with a tight-fitting lid and place in oven.
6. Cook for exactly 20 minutes.
7. Remove from heat. Let stand a few minutes.
8. Before serving, fluff with a fork.