Made this last night. It would probably be good for a cool Fall or Winter night, but it sounded just so good I could not resist.
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons garlic salt
2 teaspoons onion powder
6 slices bacon, diced
4 ribs celery, diced
1/2 small white onion, diced
2 small leeks, white parts only, trimmed and thinly sliced
5 tablespoons unsalted butter
kosher salt, to taste
fresh ground black pepper, to taste
4 bone-in skin on chicken thighs
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 cups chicken stock
cooked rice, to serve
1. Heat the oven to 350°F. Whisk 1 cup flour, 1 tablespoon paprika, 2 teaspoons garlic salt, and the onion powder in a bowl. Set aside.
2. Heat a large skillet over medium-high. Add the bacon and cook until crisp, 3 to 4 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a paper-towel lined plate.
3. Add the celery and cook until soft, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the onion and cook 2 to 3 minutes more, then stir in the leek. Cook until soft, 2 minutes. Add in 1 tablespoon butter and stir until melted. Transfer to a bowl and remove the skillet from the heat.
4. Season the chicken all over with salt and pepper and dredge all over in the flour mixture. Place the skillet back on the stovetop with the oil. Heat over medium and cook the chicken, skin-side down, until golden, 1 to 2 minutes. Flip, and cook until golden, 1 minute more. Transfer to the plate with the bacon.
5. Wipe the skillet clean. Place the skillet back on medium heat and add the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter until melted. Whisk in the 1/4 cup flour and cook 1 to 2 minutes, then slowly whisk in the chicken stock until thick. Stir in the remaining teaspoons of paprika and garlic salt. Season with salt and pepper and stir in the reserved bacon, vegetables, and the chicken. Place in the oven and cook until the chicken is tender and a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the chicken reads 165°F, about 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool slightly, then serve with the rice.
2 thoughts on “Smothered Chicken”
My cast iron skillet wants to try this!
Looks fantastic! 💕