This may sound crazy to some of you, but don’t knock it ’till you’ve tried it. We are entering grilling season and this is a excellent accompaniment to steak on the grill and can be done while you are cooking the steak.
Grilled Romaine Lettuce
2 hearts romaine lettuce, halved
6 tablespoons good extra virgin olive oil
kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, grated
Aged Balsamic vinegar (Optional but highly recommended.)
1. Trim lettuce hearts by discarding outside leaves.
2. Cut each heart of romaine in half lengthwise so that the root keeps each piece together. Place on a plate cut side up. Dress each half with: olive oil, salt, pepper and cheese.
3. Place on pre-heated grill, on medium-high heat, cut side up. Grill until cheese begins to melt, turn over.
4. At this point you may want to give lettuce an additional splash of olive oil. Continue to grill for approximately 3 minutes.
5. Remove to serving plate, cut side up. Once again before serving give lettuce an additional splash of oil.
6. This dish is especially attractive and delicious if finished with a drizzle of Balsamic vinegar.