We had a meal at a local taqueria the other day and along with our tacos, we were served some pickled jalapenos and carrots. They really made the meal and were complementary to the food. So I thought I would try making them at home. I found a recipe that seemed to be authentic from a great website called Mexican Please. Turned out great.
Pickled Jalapenos and Carrots
1 small onion
4 cloves garlic
1 1/2 cups white vinegar
1 cup water
1 Tablespoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
8 cracked peppercorns
1 bay leaf
2 1-pint mason jars
1. Give the jalapenos a rinse and then cut into 1/4 inch slices.
2. Peel the carrots and cut into 1/4 inch slices
3. Peel and quarter the onion, chopping into thin slices
4. Peel and roughly chop the garlic
5. Heat a dollop of oil in a medium sized sauce pan on medium-high heat
6. Saute the onion and garlic for a few minutes
7. Add the jalapenos, carrots and the spices: 1/2 teaspoon oregano, 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds, 8-10 black peppercorns, 1 bay leaf.
8. Briefly saute and then add 1.5 cups white vinegar, 1 cup water, and 1 Tablespoon sea salt
9. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer
10. Simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the jalapenos turn army green
11. Fill each jar with the veggies and top with the brine
2 thoughts on “Picked Jalapenos and Carrots”
Sounds delicious and daring! Can’t wait to try with our next Mexican meal at home.
Thanks, let me know how you like it!