Adding canned tomatillos really makes this dish. Fresh tomatillos might work, but I have not tried using them. You would want to roast them before adding.
The San Marcos Whole Tomatillos are quite salty so we recommend not adding any additional salt beyond what the recipe calls for. If you cannot find the San Marcos, you can substitute another brand and you will probably need to add a bit more salt.
Chili Verde (Colorado Green Chili)
- 3 Anaheim chili peppers
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 2 pounds boneless pork shoulder, trimed and cut in 1″ cubes
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder, divided
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced small
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 cans San Marcos Whole Tomatillos, see picture
- 4 cups chicken stock
- tortilla chips
- lime wedges
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Coat the Anaheim chilies with 1 tablespoon of oil and roast in the oven until the skin blisters and the peppers soften, about 20 minutes.
3. Allow chilies to cool. Once cooled, stem and seed the chilies, keeping the skin on. (If there is some charring on the skin it’s OK.) Chop coarsely.
4. Heat the remaining oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Sprinkle pork with salt and pepper. Cook pork in 2 to 3 batches dusting each batch with a bid of cumin and brown all over, about 15 minutes per batch. Remove pork with a slotted spoon and set aside.
5. Lower the heat to medium. Add the chilies and onions. Saute for about 10 minutes until the onion is starting to brown. Add the garlic and cook for a few more minutes. Add the flour and stir for 3 minutes.
6. Return the pork along with juices to the pot. With your fingers remove the tomatillos from the can and squeeze them to release the juice into the pot.
7. Add chicken stock. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer. Cover pot and cook until pork is tender about 45 minutes.
8. Remove lid and continue to cook for 15 minutes to thicken slightly.
9. Serve with tortilla chips and lime wedges. Sour cream is also a nice addition.