Found this recipe in a Woman’s Day magazine. It was written intending for it to be cooked in an Instant Pot. Well, we don’t have one of those up here in the North Woods of Wisconsin, but the dish sounded like something we would enjoy, so we improvised. The pasta and meatballs were supposed to be cooked in the Instant Pot on the pressure cooker setting. I just put the noodles in a large pot, laid the meatballs on top, added water and brought it to a boil, then reduced the heat. I tried not to peek inside and let the steam do it’s thing. 12 minutes seemed just right. It came out great. Got five stars from Laura who loves some heat and bold flavors. Here is the recipe.
|Author: Jim Kirkley
Asian Noodles and Meatballs
1 pound, ground pork
1/4 cup, panko
1 large, egg
4 scallions – finely chopped, white and green parts separated
1/2 cup, cilantro – finely chopped
4 teaspoons, ginger – peeled and grated, divided
2 large, garlic cloves – finely chopped
fresh ground black pepper
2 tablespoons, creamy peanut butter
1 tablespoon, soy sauce
1 tablespoon, lime juice
1 teaspoon, light brown sugar
2 tablespoons, sesame oil – divided
8 ounces, linguine – broken in half
sesame seeds – for serving
lime wedges – for serving
chili garlic paste – to taste
- In a large bowl, combine pork, panko, egg, scallion whites, cilantro, half of ginger, two-thirds of garlic and 1/2 tsp each of salt and pepper. Form into 1 1/2 inch balls. You should have about 16.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together peanut butter, soy sauce, lime juice, brown sugar, 1 T of sesame oil, remaining ginger, sesame oil, and garlic.
- In a large pot, stir together noodles and remaining 1 T of sesame oil to coat. Place meatballs on top of noodles. Pour in 1 3/4 cups of water and 1/4 tsp of salt.
- Place lid on pot and bring to a boil, reduce heat and let everything cook for 12 minutes. Try not to peek.
- Remove meatballs and set aside keeping them warm.
- Stir peanut sauce into noodles. There should be about 1/4 cup water left to thin the sauce. If not add some warm water.
- Return meatballs to pot and gently combine all together. Cover with lid and let rest over low heat for 5 minutes.
- Transfer noodles and meatballs to serving plates. Top with scallion greens, chili garlic paste, sesame seeds and lime wedges for squeezing.
One thought on “Asian Noodles and Meatballs”