Last night we had some leftover mushrooms and canned artichoke hearts. Laura thought we might make some pasta with them so we did. I wish we had had a few more artichokes, but it turned out really good. Here is what we did.
One drawback to moving to Oregon is we can no longer walk out of the house and pick fresh lemons; we have to actually buy them from the store. Bummer.
Grilled Artichoke & Mushroom Lemon Pasta
8 ounces, pasta – we used fettuccine
2 tablespoons, extra virgin olive oil
1/2 yellow onion – thinly sliced
8 ounces, crimini mushrooms – thickly sliced
1/4 teaspoon, kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon, fresh ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon, red pepper flakes
4 garlic cloves – minced
1 can, artichoke hearts
1 tablespoon, fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons, grated parmesan cheese
- Drain artichokes and pat dry with paper towels. Cut artichoke hearts in half.
- In a grill pan, place heart halves face down and drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt.
- Grill until nicely browned. Flip over and grill other side. When browned, remove from heat and reserve.
- Fill a large pot with salted water and bring to a boil. In a separate large pan heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, mushrooms, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Cook for about 5-7 minutes until mushrooms and onions are soft.
- Once water is boiling add the pasta and cook according to package. Meanwhile, continue making the sauce.
- Add the garlic to the mushroom mixture and cook for 1-2 more minutes. Add the artichokes and cook for another 1-2 minutes until heated through. Then turn off heat.
- When pasta is close to al dente lift pasta from water using tongs and add it directly into the pan with the mushrooms and artichokes. Add lemon juice, parmesan, and some of the pasta water to make a sauce and toss until evenly coated. Serve with grated parmesan cheese.