This recipe is stolen blatently and without modification from Alice Water’s rendition. I learned about it when watching an episode where Alice is cooking with Julia Child. Alice makes this salad for Julia right on the spot. I had to try it and it is SOO GOOOD! Fennel has a slight licorice taste and can be tough, but when you slice it thin it is wonderful. Try this you will like it a lot.
|Author: Alice Waters
A very tasty and striking salad – ALL WHITE!
Shaved Mushroom, Fennel, and Parmesan Salad
2 small, fennel bulbs
3 large, white mushrooms
1/2 fresh lemon
Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
4 tablespoons, high quality olive oil
salt and pepper
- Wash and trim fennel bulbs – cut away feathery tops and root end. If you can only find large bulbs, remove the tough inner core on the root end. Save the fronds for decoration.
- Using a vegetable slicer or mandoline slicer, slice the fennel as thinly as possible and scatter over a plate or platter
- Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and season with salt and pepper
- Shave mushrooms into paper thin slices and scatter over fennel
- Season with more salt and pepper, a squeeze of lemon juice and the remaining olive oil
- With a cheese slicer or vegetable peeler, shave about 30 thin slivers of Parmesan on top of the fennel and mushrooms. Do not toss!
- Using a scissors, decorate with chopped fennel fronds
- Serve immediately