So James (our son) and I are beginning to think there’s some Germanic heritage going on in Jim’s background somewhere. Jim is of Scottish heritage but he continuously cleaves to Germanic tastes and recipes. He loves vinegary dishes,
adores pastries laden with (real) cream and berries,
is prone (when out dining) to always order pig, preferably big knuckles,
lets not even talk about dill, (has to have it), his wursts (always),
root vegetables (no-brainer), and his beloved DUMPLINGS!
Big ones, fat ones, was going to finish with skinny ones, but they don’t exist in German cuisine. We recently spent three weeks in Czech Republic, Germany, and Austria. We’re now back in USA and Jim’s cooking Germanic dishes like crazy… some serious withdrawal going on. Just hope he jumps on an Asian bender soon, I’m trying to shed a pound or two. In the interim this German Cucumber Salad recipe is delicious and low cal. Seriously Delicious!!
Jim’s Fabulous (GUILT-FREE) Cucumber Salad
1. Thinly slice 2 large cucumbers (peeled or unpeeled) and 1/4 medium yellow onion also thinly sliced. This is best done with a mandolin if you have one, otherwise practice your knife skills. Set onions aside.
2. Place sliced cucumbers in a colander with a good sprinkle of kosher salt. Toss to distribute.
3. Let sit at least 30 minutes.
4. Press down and drain off the accumulated liquid.
5. Place cucumbers and onions in a glass bowl (metal’s not good when you are using vinegar).
6. In a microwave-safe measuring cup add 1 1/2 cups water, 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar, and sugar to taste. Jim adds one heaping tablespoon. He has seen many people add up to 1/2 cup but there goes the 16 calories. We like it best when it’s not too sweet. Heat solution in microwave, stirring occasionally until sugar is dissolved.
7. Pour solution over cucs and onions. Enough to cover.
8. Add dill to taste. It takes more dill than you might imagine. Keep tasting as you go.
9. Chill for two to three hours before serving, preferably overnight.
TIP YOU CAN REUSE BRINE FOR NEXT BATCH OF CUCUMBERS!
CHOW DOWN – GUILT FEE!