|Author: Laura S. Kirkley & James R. Kirkley, III
From a recipe by Pierre Franey with revisions by Laura S. Kirkley and Jim Kirkley
Serve with Grilled Medallions of Pork.
Mustard and Cornichon Sauce (Sauce Charcutie’re)
16 cornichons – drianed and thinly sliced
3 tablespoons, unsalted butter
2/3 cup, yellow onion – finely chopped
4 cloves, garlic – finely minced
2 tablespoons, red wine vinegar
1/2 cup, chicken broth
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1 tablespoon, tomato paste
1 bay leaf
1 sprig, fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 tablespoon, Dijon mustard
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a saucepan and add the onions, cook until lightly browned.
- Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Add vinegar and cook briefly.
- Add the chicken broth, salt and pepper to taste, and tomato paste.
- Bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
- Add the bay leaf and thyme
- Reduce heat and simmer about 4 minutes
- Stir in cornichons and continue cooking for 1 minute
- Remove from heat
- Stir in the mustard
- Swirl in the remaining butter and serve