|Author: James R. Kirkley, IV
Braised Brussel Sprouts
1 pound, fresh brussel sprouts – halved lengthwise
il Fustino Arbequina EVOO
freshly ground pepper
1/4 cup, chicken broth
- In a large cast iron skillet over medium high heat swirl a bit of olive oil and a knob of butter to lightly coat the pan.
- Place sprouts individually cut face down on the pan.
- With tongs check to see how they are coming along. They should be nicely brown but not burned.
- When each sprout is done remove to a separate bowl.
- When a whole batch is done. Add more oil and butter and repeat the browning process until all the sprouts are browned.
- Toss browned sprouts with kosher salt and ground pepper to taste.
- Return the sprouts to the skillet and reduce heat to medium. Add chicken broth and cover the skillet. Toss occasionally.
- Check for doneness. The sprouts should be al dente but definitely not mushy.
- Serve immediately.